If you read our last post, you should now know all about K-beauty and why it's leading the industry. You may have heard of the 10 step Korean skincare routine which may sound daunting, but no we don't recommend you do all these steps everyday! No one has time for that and it's not ideal for your skin either. So let's go through the 10 steps in order of how you should use them.
1. Oil-based Cleanser - so if you follow us on Facebook or Instagram, you would know that double cleansing is key for clean, clear skin! Even if you don't wear any make up, an oil-based cleanser will break down any oil-based debris, sebum and sunscreen. You only need to use this at night to clear off the impurities from the day.
2. Water-based cleanser - This is the second step of the double cleanse. This step removes any water-based impurities that the oil cleansing hasn't cleaned up like dirt and sweat.
3. Exfoliator - Exfoliating removes dead skin cells and cleans pores for brighter and smoother skin. Regular exfoliation will prevent clogged pores which means less break outs! We recommend to only do this step 2 -3 times a week. Over-exfoliating can lead to red, irritated skin which we don't want!
Krave Beauty - Kale-Lalu-yAHA
SOME BY MI - AHA BHA PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner
4. Toner - A toner preps the skin for all the products that follow. Think of your skin like a sponge, it's hard for it to absorb anything when it's dry. Some are also multi-functioning and can hydrate and exfoliate in one step!
Son & Park - Beauty Water
COSRX - Pure Fit Cica Toner
5. Essence - Not to be confused with a toner, essences are lightweight and full of anti-ageing and hydrating ingredients to penetrate deeply into the skin. If you're trying to get that dewy glass-skin look, you should add this to your routine!
MISSHA - Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence Rx
6. Treatments - Serums and ampoules are the boosters of skincare. They are formulated based on your skin concerns, so they are packed with highly effective ingredients. These are usually used to treat hyperpigmentation, acne and fine lines.
Jumiso - All Day Brightening & Balancing Facial Serum
BY ECOM - Best Ampoule 3 Kit
7. Sheet Masks - Most of you have probably tried one of these before, and for good reason! They are packed with nutrients and moisture, and the prolonged contact with the skin allows the skin to absorb all the goodness. We like to use one once or twice a week.
Etude House - Collagen Therapy Air Mask
TONYMOLY - Moisturizing I'm Aloe Mask Sheet
8. Eye Cream - You may have heard that eye creams aren't a necessity. This can be true depending on your skin. However, eye creams are full of beneficial ingredients that can tackle dark circles, puffiness and crows feet while being extra gentle at the same time.
Pyunkang Yul - Black Tea Time Reverse Eye Cream
BENTON - Fermentation Eye Cream
9. Moisturiser - A moisturiser hydrates the skin and seals in all the goodness you've just applied to your skin. They come in many forms (gel, cream, emulsion, sleeping mask) to suit your skin type. Make sure you use a moisturiser day and night, everyday.
E Nature - Birch Juice Hydro Emulsion
Krave Beauty - Oat So Simple Water Cream
10. Sunscreen - The holy grail to prevent premature ageing. Yes, you should wear sunscreen everyday even when you're inside since UV rays can still penetrate through windows. We can't sell Korean sunscreens in Australia by law but you can go to your local chemist or supermarket to find your favourite.
And that is your 10 step Korean skincare routine! Let's be real though, you're not going to do all those steps every day (and we don't think you should either!). We suggest a minimum of 3 steps a day; cleanse, moisturise and sunscreen. But if you need a push in the right direction, we'd be happy to give you a personal recommendation. You can DM us on our Instagram or Facebook or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.